Are you tired of your hard hat disturbing or irritating you during your work and want to know how to make a hard hat more comfortable? If you’re a blue-collar person who has to work in construction sites and hazardous environments, you must know how necessary a hard hat is! However, due to its heavy size (Approximately 16 ounces) and unconventional design, a hard hat might become a nuisance.
In summers, you have to bear the trickling sweat and scorching heat. In winters, the hard hat fails to provide full support from harsh weather. So, this article has covered every query related to ways to make a hard hat comfortable. Besides this, the article will enlighten you on some tips for wearing a hard hat. So, sit back and read on to find out!
Ways to Make A Hard Hat Comfortable
Manufacturers have introduced some unique designs in hard hats like hard hats with knob-adjustable suspensions and hard hats with extra holes. Suppose you are a worker in a construction area or a road maker. In that case, you know the feeling of doing laborious works under unfavorable weather with an annoying hard hat.
You can only be relieved and ready to work if you are wearing a comfortable hard hat. You can buy a hard hat with innovative features available in the market or make your hard hat comfier by following these simple steps.
1. Use a Bandana
In summers, to soak the build-up sweat in your scalp and keep the inside of your hard hat airy, a bandana is the easiest option.
- Fold the bandana, corner to corner, into a triangle.
- If your head is small, give the bandana another fold so that it fits your head correctly.
- Now place the bandana inside your hard hat, with its corners sliding between the shell and the straps at the front of the front brace.
- Pull the bandana’s end to the inside of the suspensions at the back and front cleats and through the back of the hat.
- Now tie a double knot below the adjustment knobs on the two ends of the bandana that are outside. The bandana will stay in the hard hat, and it will help in soaking sweat and keeping your head cool.
2. Use Hard Hat Pads
Who doesn’t want a comfortable hard hat? The harness cords that run across the hard hat’s inner shell make your hard hat non-comfy and your head sore as they dig up inside your head. Some hard hats come with a remarkable feature of padded cushions inside them.
These pads provide relief to your head so the straps won’t dig inside your skull and make your hard hat experience bearable. Some hard hat pads also have odor-blocking properties that block the odor of sweat and protect your head from getting over-heated.
3. Use Cooling Pads
It is hard to work in scorching sunlight for several hours with the burden of a hard hat and nothing to cool your head off. Some companies have introduced cooling pads to serve the purpose. You have to soak these cooling pads in ice-cold water for 5-10 minutes before wearing your hat and clasp them inside your hard hat.
These pads provide a constant cooling sensation to your head and make the inside of your hard hat comfortable so you can work for hours unfazed by heat or sweat!
4. Hard Hat Sweat Bands
Does the hard hat keep falling off your head because the suspension cords are slippery from sweat? The hard hat sweatbands are there to the rescue. These sweatbands are made up of cotton material that soaks the sweat dribbling on your face and neck and covers the suspension cords so the band won’t slip and interfere with your work.
5. Hard Hat Liners
Liners inside a hard hat are the best way to cope with harsh spells in winter and unbearable weather conditions in summer. These liners can cover a full head, face, and neck to keep you warm in winters while working outside in bone-chilling weather. On the other hand, the liners can also be converted to cover your head in summers to soak the sweat and keep it cool and airy.
Many companies are now manufacturing comfortable hard hats with innovative designs and some cool features. These make it easy for you to wear hard hats all day during work without getting toiled up!
Tips for Wearing a Hard Hat
When you are working in a hazardous environment, hard hats save your life by protecting you from falling objects, suspended loads, spillage on the face and neck, etc. However, they are only supported if worn properly. However, when it comes to how to make a hard hat more comfortable, there are some tips that would help you;
- You should constantly adjust the suspension cords to maintain a 1inch distance between your head and shell. This way, you will not feel any impact if an object falls directly above the outer surface of your hard hat.
- Do not wear your hard hat backward! Some hard hats are designed to be worn both ways, while some are not. In this case, see the reader’s manual first. Keep the brim to the front as it prevents any spillage to contact your eyes or face. Some hard hats come with a feature of a reverse donning sign that indicates that the hard hat can be worn in both directions.
- Do not wear your hard hat without clasping the suspension cords, as the hard hat might bump off your head and put you in danger. Always check for proper adjustment knobs around your face and under your chin to keep it in place while working at heights.
- It would be best to keep your hard hat from falling or any other damage like drilling holes, painting, dents, etc. It damages the outer layer, and the hard cap will not function.
- Keep a constant check on your hard hat. Look for any dysfunctionality that might risk your safety, like flaking on the outer shell, dents, or cracks.
Suitably wearing your hard hat ensure your safety. Try to follow these tips to make your work-life easy as well as hazard-free!
Conclusion on How to Make a Hard Hat More Comfortable
Hard hats come in different styles and designs. The best suited for you is the one with all the functions to make it suitable as well as a comfortable hard hat for you. This article has discussed how to make a hard hat more comfortable or convert your hard hat into one! We hope that you find the article informative and helpful.